Saturday, March 23, 2013

Trying to Park Like Superman

Mexico City has a population of over 21 million people, and I think that's why I'm so fascinated by all forms of transportation here.  Last night I watched a guy in the Roma area of town try to parallel park his car.  I so wanted to take a picture, but I wasn't sure he'd have appreciated that.  His rear bumper was against the car behind him.  His car didn't quite fit in the space, so his driving companion was outside the car pushing the car in front of him like Superman, seeing if they could somehow SQUEEZE the car into the space.  Although Glendale has some crazy drivers, Mexico City is the first place I saw this particular technique in action.

Today we headed back downtown to the Centro Historico, using the third different metro line in three days, so I could see the various ways you can navigate the city.  The only camera I've been toting these first few days in Mexico City, as I get used to traveling again, has been my iPhone camera, so those are the pictures I'll share again today.  We first visited La Catedral, which is the oldest and largest Roman Catholic cathedral in all of the Americas.  It was constructed over a period of two centuries, between the 1500's and the 1800's, and the Spaniards used the stones from a destroyed Aztec Temple to build it.  There were lots of vendors selling jewelry and crafts surrounding the church, many wearing pre-hispanic dance costumes.
There was also a large colorful mural outside.
The interior of the church has many sections, featuring gold ornamentation on the altars,
and dramatic statues.
Back outside and walking along the streets in this area, you can find many historic buildings with interesting architectural details in both stone,
and wood.
Eduardo took me to meet various people in the jewelry industry today who work in different areas of production.  I loved the way this woman, who did fine work in silver, had a neat, orderly system for her tools.
And in total contrast, I loved the well worn look of this kiln used for casting in another shop.  All these and more are the tools of the trade for jewelry making.
After conducting some business, we visited the local bakery, "Pasteleria Ideal" to bring home some bread for the family.  This is a very old traditional business, where you choose your bread and then bring it over to the counter for the lady to wrap up for you.  Can you see me in the mirror taking the picture?  By the way, I think all this eating may increase the size of "mi pansa"!
Of course they also had beautiful pots of gelatin, and I couldn't resist taking a picture of those, too, and eating one as well.
Today is Friday night, and there is excitement in the air here because Monday is the start of Semana Santa.  Schools are closed next week, and many people in Mexico City head out of town for vacation.  We heard on the news that there were slow moving lines of cars leaving the city, and were grateful for our short, albeit crowded ride home.  I took this picture on the bus, to give you an idea of how many people you'll find sharing public transportation with you here.
But this is a wonderful, magnetic, historical, energetic city!  So it's all part of the experience, which I'll share again tomorrow.  The best of dreams to you all, and Buenas Noches.

xoxo Linda





1 comment:

  1. look like fun... especially the Pasteleria Ideal... mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete