Thursday, May 22, 2014

Beautiful Big Sur

We took a trip up North this week for a few days to celebrate my daughter's birthday and my son's graduation from college.  A glorious time!  On our way home, we took Highway 101 south from Santa Cruz to Cambria, and I was once again reminded of how blessed we are by all the beautiful scenery in California.  I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share some pictures with you of our spectacular coastline around Big Sur.
Although the day was gray and moody, the color of the sea was still vibrant, with a brilliant turquoise churning close to the shore.
The coastal plant life added little dots of color amongst the green and brown.
Of course the view is spectacular as you approach the historic Bixby Bridge, built in 1932 over Bixby Creek.  The bridge is one of the tallest single span concrete bridges in the world, and one of the most photographed along the Pacific Coast, according to Wikipedia.  It was a blessing to the residents of Big Sur in that time who were virtually cut off from supplies during winter prior to the construction of the bridge.
The signs approaching the bridge remind us to take the curve slowly, and be careful not to get too close to the edge.  While Googling the Bixby Bridge, I was saddened to learn that there had been a fatal car crash on this bridge just recently, in January of this year, where a young woman of 20 was killed and her companion, 26, critically injured when their car hurtled off the bridge.  A grim reminder to drive with care in this winding coastal area.
Continuing south along the 101, I was able to capture another nice shot looking north towards the bridge.
If you read my blog often, you will know I am a cow lover, and am always so happy when I see them along the road.  Eduardo will tell you that I must exclaim "Cows" every time, and include them in my post.  So here they are grazing on this ocean bluff, and even though they are just tiny black dots, they are nonetheless duly noted!  You can also see that there are brown spots among the green here, a sign of the drought in California.
The sun started to poke through the clouds as we advanced.  You see many of these lovely yellow wildflowers along the drive, and I especially liked the way they glowed in the late afternoon sun. 

Just to catch the view, we made a quick stop at Nepenthe, at the famous Phoenix restaurant and gift shop.  Look at these gorgeous trees!
Back on the road, we drove through this small stone tunnel right before Limekiln State Park, which I don't remember seeing before.  I couldn't seem to find anything about in on Google.  Is this new?  Anybody know anything about it?
Looking back towards the northwest, the sun dipped low in the sky and made for a pretty picture as we approached San Simeon, home of Hearst Castle and one of my personal favorite spots along the coast.  If you can ever catch an evening tour at the castle, I highly recommend it.  Is is unforgettable!
We stopped at Piedras Blancas near San Simeon to snap a few pictures and take in the sounds of the elephant seals that make their home in this area.
Simply charming and delightful, you can't help but smile when you see them.  And I always exclaim, "How can they stand to go swimming here?  It's so COLD!".  But I guess by the look of their big round bellies, you can tell that they are built for the weather here.
As day turned to night, we pulled into Cambria to have a late dinner, and ultimately spend the night.  The next day we took some time getting to know the shops of Cambria, where I rediscovered a distinct love of MERMAIDS in the town.  I have loved Cambria for many years, and this is one of the reasons why.  Don't be surprised to find some of my work there the next time you visit.  More on that as it develops.  

But for now, sweet dreams, thanks for reading my blog, and to all a Good Night.

xoxo Linda



















No comments:

Post a Comment