Thursday, March 7, 2024

Thoughts on the Pride Flag Ban in Huntington Beach

Surfers are near and dear to my heart, and I see them as Mer People.  During the three years that I lived in Long Beach, I spent many days in beach towns in Orange County observing and photographing surfers.  I found it to be so meditative.  Sitting on either the shore or the pier, I listened to the rhythm of the waves and waited, while they sat on their boards... and also waited.  

Then a wave would rise, and they would too, riding it to shore if they were lucky and the wave was just right.  I saw them as being in tune with nature, at one with the universe.  With nothing to focus on but the sea, I believe they quieted their mind and reflected on the bigger picture.

How could these same people be so in tune with nature yet so out of tune with their fellow man??  What happened to love and compassion for another being, regardless of whether they are like or unlike yourself??  

This spiritual, meditative sport seems riddled in contradiction to me now.


I was looking for one of my surfer images for this post, and this one hit me like a ton of bricks.  I'm going to call it "Distortion".  

I am of course talking about the vote yesterday in Huntington Beach to take away the right to hang a rainbow flag outside.  How could a country that prides itself on freedom of speech have gone so far in the other direction?  I hang my head in shame for Huntington Beach right now, who has chosen to drive yet another wedge between humans.  

What will it take for us to learn that LOVE is the only answer?  It's time for each one of us to focus our energy on our own journey, and lovingly and peacefully let others have theirs as well. 


With Love and Light,

Linda

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment